Digestive health, or as some call it, gut health supplements, are hot topics these days. However, the rising popularity of prebiotics and probiotics has caused many new products to enter the market.
One of these companies, Microbiome Plus+, produces award-winning products. We investigate their claims and customer reviews.
Digestive Health and Your Immune System
Your digestive system has multiple parts: the stomach, large intestine, and small intestine; it contains 100 trillion bacteria, which are responsible for digesting your food, regulating hormones, eliminating toxins, and producing vital nutrients. These beneficial bacteria in your gut represent around 80% of your immune cells that protect you against colds, pathogens, viruses, and other bugs.
To maintain a healthy functioning immune system and stay healthy, you should pay attention to your digestive system; your gut must be healthy.
If your immune system is compromised, you are at an increased risk for autoimmune diseases, colds, flu, allergies, and other conditions.
What is the Microbiome?
The two words, microbiota and microbiome are used interchangeably without complicating the subject. For example, the microbiota is the 10-100 trillion cells, mainly in the gut; the human microbiome is genes these cells harbor. When we talk about supplements, the term microbiome usually refers to cells and genes, the bacteria in your digestive tract.
Your Second Brain
Sometimes experts refer to the digestive tract as your second brain; think about a time when you've been nervous or had anxiety. Sometimes called the “butterflies,” your stomach cramps because you have nerve endings in your stomach that communicate with the brain.
This two-way communication is essential to consider; if your digestive health is out of balance, it could negatively affect your mood snd overall wellbeing.
We appreciate substantiated clinically tested ingredients if those ingredients are dosed at the same level used in the clinical. For example, while reviewing the Microbiome Plus+ clinical results, it was impossible to determine the exact quantity used in the trials as reported in PubMed.
The claims are clinically proven to boost immune and digestive health, increase Vitamin D, and lower LDL cholesterol by 11.64%.
It is interesting to see that L. reuteri NCIMB 30242, the probiotic, supports bile metabolism, increases Vitamin D, and lowers LDL cholesterol.
What is Microbiome Plus+
Microbiome Plus is all about gut health and immune support; their product lineup consists of:
- Microbiome Plus Colon Cleanse and Detox
- Microbiome Plus Gastrointestinal Probiotic
- Microbiome Plus Gastrointestinal Prebiotic and Probiotic
- Microbiome Plus Prebiotic Fiber
- Microbiome Plus Premium Digestive Enzymes
- Complete Bundle with Probiotic, Prebiotic, Colon Cleanse & Enzymes.
What Are Key Ingredients of Microbiome Plus+
When we analyzed the Colon Cleanse product and the premium Digestive Enzymes, the ingredient panels have many of the usual ingredients found in similar products; however, it's the Probiotic product that stands out, and we will focus on it.
The Super Digestive enzymes have Pancreatin (4x) 325mg, a mixture of digestive enzymes including Amylase, Protease, and Lipase. Other stand-alone national brands will cite Pancreatin (10x) and include up to 1,000 mg.
The Prebiotic Fiber is (scFOs) Short-chain fructo-oligosaccharides, which they sometimes use in medications to address constipation.
The “star” ingredient L. reuteri NCIMB 30242, or Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242 in the Microbiome Plus+ product lineup and the only element in the Probiotic products, which is patented and trademarked in the U.S. and is owned by UAS Labs. There are other generic forms of Lactobacillus reuteri on the market; however, the clinical trials only apply to this patented product.
This bacterium is naturally found in human beings and is commonly found in the gastrointestinal tract and the urinary tract. It's also present in the skin and breast milk.
Microbiome Plus+ Dosages
Suppose we focus on the Microbiome Plus+ Gastrointestinal Probiotic. In that case, the recommended dosage is two capsules of the patented probiotic Lactobacillus Reuteri NCIMB 30242, which equals 7 billion living and active bacteria capable of dividing and forming colonies.
What are the Benefits of Microbiome Plus+
The benefits cited by Microbiome Plus+ are focused on maintaining gastrointestinal health and supporting the immune system. They also note the structure-function claims from their clinal studies related to Vitamin D and lowering LDL cholesterol. The other benefits they claim are:
- Increased energy
- Maintains a balance of healthy bacteria
- Supports a healthy inflammatory response
- Better mood, energy, and wellbeing
- Builds immunity
- Reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol by breaking down bile. – A double-blind randomized study performed on 127 subjects consuming either L. reuteri NCIMB 30242 or placebo capsules over a period of 9 weeks found that the probiotic induced a reduction of 11.64% in LDL cholesterol, 9.14% in total cholesterol, and 11.30% in non-HDL-cholesterol. Thus, this probiotic could be a powerful ally for those looking to mitigate the negative effects of high cholesterol and improve their cardiovascular health.
- L. Reuteri NCIMB 30242 may improve gastrointestinal health and promote gut microbiome balance and diversity. Gut dysbiosis, or the persistent imbalance of bad and good bacteria has been linked to poor gastrointestinal health, chronic inflammation, altered gut-brain communication, metabolic imbalance, and more. Studies suggest that L. reuteri NCIMB 30242 supports gastrointestinal health and relieves diarrhea symptoms.
- Improves Immunity and Vitamin D Absorption: Low vitamin D levels have been linked to osteoporosis, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases, and even cancer L. reuteri NCIMB 30242 was shown to increase of 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood levels by 25.5%.
Microbiome Plus+ lists several other related benefits on their website, explaining the science behind their product and providing links to studies that support their claims.
Does Microbiome Plus+ Actually Work?
According to customer reviews and testimonials, the brand is credited for addressing digestive issues. Weight loss was not mentioned in the testimonials and is not promoted as a weight loss solution if you were searching for diet options.
Is Microbiome Plus+ Safe?
Probiotics are generally very safe, with a tiny chance for adverse side effects. Consumers who reported issues usually mentioned gastrointestinal distress or headaches. However, Microbiome Plus+ L. Reuteri NCIMB 30242 was Generally Recognized as Safe by the FDA, so you should be safe consuming it.
Best Places To Buy Microbiome Plus+
You can buy the Microbiome Plus+ product line on Amazon; we advise you to go straight to the company's website.
Microbiome Plus+ Pricing
While the website can be confusing in the pricing area with its offers, the cost of the products:
- Microbiome Plus Colon Cleanse – $28.49
- Microbiome Plus Prebiotic Fiber – $17.49
- Microbiome Plus Prebiotic and Probiotic Combination – $47.49
- Microbiome Plus Probiotic – $39.99
- Microbiome Plus Digestive Enzymes – $24.49
- Complete Microbiome Plus Bundle with Probiotic, Prebiotic, Colon Cleanse, and Digestive Enzymes – $77.32 Special Price was $110.46.
Complete MB Bundle: Probiotic, Prebiotic, Colon Cleanse & 18 plant based Enzymes
Complete gut health solution, with prebiotics, probiotics, colon cleanse and digestive enzymes.
All products are allergy-safe, gluten, soy and corn-free, vegan, non-GMO, and preservative-free.
Based on the clinical studies, with their patented ingredient, we think Microbiome Plus is a viable option if you want to experiment with probiotic supplements.
Probiotics are also beneficial for:
- You get better absorption, and maximum impact with Delayed-Release capsule Design only disintegrates once further along in the digestive tract.
- These capsules will only dissolve later during digestion; you experience less after-taste and odor.
- Their products are developed by doctors and put through rigorous testing and research with studies to back them up.
“This product has been a life saver for me. I have had IBS for many years and this is the only thing I've found that has made it bearable. I take twice a day. Morning I also have a probiotic. It works together to give my digestive system the missing pieces that help me digest better. Much better than just a probiotic. I recommend if you think you need this to try it out. It works for me.”Amazon
Purchased Colon Cleanse Detox
“Knowing what I know about keeping your lower GI in good shape prompted me to purchase your product after reviewing and researching 20 like products. My cleansing is on day six, without the need to be close to home, and the needed results look promising. I'll do the cleanse for 15 days and report back.”Verified Buyer
Purchased Prebiotic and Probiotic Combo
“My doctor recommended this to lower my LDL cholesterol and it really works. I have been taking this for several years now.”Verified Buyer
Harvard School of Public Health
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
Jones ML, Martoni CJ, Ganopolsky JG, Sulemankhil I, Ghali P, Prakash S. Improvement of gastrointestinal health status in subjects consuming Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242 capsules: a post-hoc analysis of a randomized controlled trial. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2013 Dec;13(12):1643-51. doi: 10.1517/14712598.2013.833601. Epub 2013 Sep 28. PMID: 24074303.
Kumar M, Nagpal R, Kumar R, Hemalatha R, Verma V, Kumar A, Chakraborty C, Singh B, Marotta F, Jain S, Yadav H. Cholesterol-lowering probiotics as potential biotherapeutics for metabolic diseases. Exp Diabetes Res. 2012;2012:902917. doi: 10.1155/2012/902917. Epub 2012 May 3. PMID: 22611376; PMCID: PMC3352670.