Affiliate Disclosure: We may earn compensation if you click on any links in this post.
What is HP Instant Ink?
Instant Ink is a subscription service that syncs with your printer to automatically (3) keep you up to date on printer supplies. When your printer gets low, it delivers new cartridges right on time.
How well does the service work, and is the cost worth it?
The service is hassle-free, saves you time, and up to 50% savings (4) when you need it, not necessarily every month, so we think it is. And here's why.
Save $100s a year on ink (1) and never run out (2) with HP Instant Ink
You're charged depending on how many pages you print each month. There are five plans and prices.
- Ten pages per month at $0.99
- 50 pages per month at $3.99
- 100 pages per month at $5.99
- 300 pages per month at $11.99
- 700 pages per month at $24.99
- 50 pages per month at $1.99
- 100 pages per month at $3.99
- 400 pages per month at $13.99
- 800 pages per month at $19.99
- 1,500 pages per month at $25.99
The membership covers ink, shipping, and recycling; you can cancel anytime at no cost.
One of the most significant advantages is built right in since HP Instant Ink automatically keeps an eye on your printer's ink or toner levels, which means you'll no longer be disappointed by a print with faded ink.
Cuts out shopping for new cartridges
If you usually buy your cartridges at a store or any physical location currently, you won't have to worry that your cartridge is in stock or be shocked by the price. You save gas prices and time in traffic.
What happens to unused prints?
Just because you don't use each page monthly doesn't mean those pages disappear. Instead, unused pages are credited to your rollover (5) account at the end of each month.
Start or cancel your subscription anytime (6)
You can start a new subscription whenever you want. Fortunately, the billing cycle doesn't begin until you install your first Hp instant ink cartridge. Also, Hp Instant Ink allows you to modify your plan type whenever you like, and there's no annual fee.
How do I save money with HP instant ink?
Instant Ink saves subscribers up to 50% compared to traditional HP cartridges. And because plans are based on the number of pages printed each month, printing in full-color costs the same as black and white printing. Shipping, and recycling of used cartridges, are also included in the monthly plans.
How soon will I get my Ink?
You'll receive your Ink within 7-10 days of signing up.
Once enrolled, you will receive a welcome kit delivered to your door. The Ink or toner you ordered is unique and only works with HP Instant Ink.
Will HP Instant Ink work for my printer?
HP Instant Ink works with nearly all printers five years old or less with a Wi-fi connection. Go to the website to find eligible printer models.
Step 1: Register and select a plan
Pick a plan based on how much you expect to print.
Step 2: Ink or toner gets shipped out
You will receive Ink or toner when your printer runs low.
Step 3: Print your heart out!
Every page costs the same so you can print high-resolution photos for the same price as black and white and color documents.
Step 4: Easy cartridge return
Send your empty cartridges back, and place the plastic back into printers with the included recycling service.
Step 5: Change or cancel any time (6)
Monitor your printing patterns in your account and change your plan at any time with one tap.
Never run out (2) and save up to 50% (4) on Ink or toner. Get Ink or toner, plus hassle-free delivery and recycling (7), starting at $0.99 a month.
Choose the best Ink plan that works for you and your lifestyle. Save more with HP Instant Ink.
- Ink savings estimates are based on the median color cost per page (cost of cartridge divided by page yield using the ISO/IEC 24711 standard) of the Instant Ink eligible cartridges vs. cost per page of a comparable HP Instant Ink subscription plan based on how many pages you print per month. XL cartridges and multipacks were not considered for the comparison.
- Never Run Out: Based on plan usage, Internet connection to eligible HP printer, valid payment method, email address, and delivery service in your geographic area.
- Automatic Delivery: Printers require direct connection to the Internet for program participation. Internet access sold separately.
- Savings Claim (Ink): Based on monthly subscription cost of HP Instant Ink 700-page plan without purchase of additional sets of pages compared to cost per page to print ISO/IEC 24711 pages on most in-class, traditional A4 color inkjet cartridge printers and MFPs priced <$385 AUD, <$420 CAD, <$333 NZD, and <$350 USD using original standard-capacity cartridges. Average CPP per country used to determine percent savings versus CPP for HP Instant Ink. Sale prices not considered for this study. HP Ink Advantage printers and printers which only use XL cartridges excluded due to the non-standard hardware & supplies model. Keypoint Intelligence September 2021 study commissioned by HP, based on publicly available information as of August 18, 2021. Printers selected by market share in IDC Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker – Final Historical 2021Q2. For details: www.keypointintelligence.com/HPInstantInk.
- Rollover Plan Pages: Rollover allows unused pages in a month to be placed in a rollover account and then applied to pages in excess of your monthly allowance. The rollover account balance is limited to a maximum of two times your monthly service plan pages on Toner plans and three times your monthly service plan pages on Ink plans (Toner example: you can roll over up to 100 pages if you are on the 50-page plan. Ink example: you can roll over up to 300 pages if you are enrolled in a 100-page plan).
- Change or Cancel Anytime: Change or cancel your plan at any time online. If you decide to cancel your HP Instant Ink you can go back to using HP original Standard or XL cartridges. Plan upgrades are effective immediately, and the charges will be applied retrospectively or in the next billing cycle, depending on user choice. Plan downgrades and cancellations are effective after the last day of the current billing period. For full details go to hpinstantink.com/terms.
- Recycling: Program availability varies. Original HP cartridge return and recycling is currently available in more than 60 countries, territories and regions in Asia, Africa, Europe, and North and South America through the HP Planet Partners program. For details, see hp.com/recycle.
- $10 credit: After using the $10 credit, a monthly fee will automatically be charged unless cancelled. Your subscription starts when you install the new Instant Ink cartridges.